Saturday, March 13, 2010

Did you know that...

…the New Britain Rock Cats are briefly featured in the movie Major League 3?


Well, yeah…of course you didn’t know that. That would require you to actually watch Major League 3…or even Major League 2 if you want to make sure you don’t miss anything in the intricate plot that doesn’t bridge the movies in any way shape or form.

Anyways, I flipped on Major League 3 the other day so that I could take a nice nap without missing anything important in the world. I noticed early in the movie, when the golden triumvirate of Scott Bakula, Corbin Bersen and Ted McGinley go to check out minor league stud prospect Billy “Downtown” Johnson, that he was wearing the familiar NB hat and Rock Cats pin-striped jersey. This was a nice little shout-out to one of our local nine. Unfortunately, due to the inclusion of McGinley on this project, all teams involved immediately tanked!

Seriously though, this movie is pretty brutal and I did fall asleep shortly after the Rock Cats scene. Yet I can’t help but take a moment to pump the original Major League, which I had the pleasure of catching on either USA or TNT last weekend. Granted you do need to see an unedited version to hear President Palmer from 24 say, “Fuck you Jobu”, but my main point is that this movie still holds up as one of the best baseball flicks of all time. I will never NOT watch this when it is on. As for Major League 2…yeah, let’s just quit while we’re ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment